365 famsters, 365 days, 365 places - beginning March 1, 2010
YOUR GOAL is to figure out the location of each daily picture!

CONTEST GUIDELINES

1. Be the first to enter the correct location by using the comment function of this blog,
my direct email, or the facebook fan page.
2. Winners and prizes will be announced on the famsterville blog and the facebook fan page within 24 hours.



Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Original Famster


Some of you may wonder "What in the world is a famster?" The unequivocal, original-original famster is displayed above. She is actually a "picture" of me!

Late in 2006, I realized that Christmas was fast approaching and I had limited funds for family presents. At that time I had 28 members of my immediate family - 2 parents, 4 siblings, 4 in-law siblings, 10 nephews, 3 nieces, 1 in-law nephew, 1 in-law niece, 2 great-nephews, and one great-niece - 28.

At that same time I was working in product development for a fabric company - which required a bunch of "matchy, matchy" work. So - as a release of "uptight-color-coordinated" aggression - the first critter was born and nothing matched!! In order to give my creations family resemblances, I decided to assign one fabric for each person going back to my grandparents and great-grandparents. Each fabric was switched around (for prominent traits) on each critter to indicate an attachment to the past and the future. The fabrics on my original-original famster represent my parents, my grandparents and my siblings. It was a fun puzzle to figure out.

The critters were a hit on Christmas morning. Questions lurched across the room like, "Why did you make me brown corduroy?" My brother-in-law, Bob, quickly named his critter "Famster" short for FAMily monSTER. And so we begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment